It’s that time of year again. The invitation has arrived to a holiday party or dinner, and the suggested dress code is ‘Festive Attire’, or dressy casual, cocktail, or smart casual. Which makes me ask: who dresses in ignorant casual?
Now you are faced with two very important questions. What do I wear and for heaven’s sake, what do these suggested what to wear dress codes mean?
So many invitations are suggesting this new dress term, and so many more people are confused by what it means.
Festive attire is NOT, what the person in the above photo is wearing. These sweaters are reserved only for a growing poplar party theme: Ugly Christmas Sweater holiday parties.
Typically festive attire is a way of asking the guests to dress up, as in no jeans, but not go as far as a gown. It is a way of guiding you to make an effort to dress up, jazz up what you wore to work or to have a little fun with your basic black dress or pants. If any piece of clothing or accessory requires batteries, then they are not appropriate for festive attire invites to parties.
So if you’re looking to get some ideas on how to turn your basic black dress or pants outfit into a wow outfit that is fit for any festive attire event, then try a few of the following tips.
1. Wear a necklace that has more than one strand to it. Try a multi layer strands of pearls, or combine two or three necklaces together to make a statement.
2. Combine bracelets that are slightly similar so as to create a more dramatic look than when just wearing one single bracelet.
3. Or add a cuff (wide) bracelet that has some color and/or shimmer on it.
4. Instead of a necklace, add an interesting lightweight scarf in a color that compliments your eyes.
5. Wear dramatic earrings if you are not wearing a necklace or if you chose a scarf.
6. Don’t wear your everyday handbag when you are dressing up. Wear a smaller and dressier handbag. Try one with color or even basic black as long as you do not look like you didn’t bother to switch out your bag from work or shopping.
7. Switch your shoes as well. This is the time to dust off those special occasion shoes that might be less than comfortable, than your regular pair but definitely worth it.
8. Apply gloss over your regular lipstick. It quickly dresses up your face and makes the eyes sparkle.
Don’t fall into the trap of wearing all black, unless you have added some sparkle or shimmer. Chocolate brown, navy, ruby red, emerald and sapphire are great alternatives. If you do choose to wear black, then add color with your necklaces or a scarf so you create some contrast and interest.
Remember to have some fun with your choices, and enjoy the festivities.
“I’m the first one to tell people, when they compliment me on how I look, that I have a secret weapon: Wardrobe Stylist Scarlett Debease. I’ve worked with Scarlett for years now and recommend her heartily to family, friends and colleagues. She not only shops with me for beautiful pieces to add to my wardrobe, but she also comes to my home and coordinates the new purchases with the rest of my wardrobe, then photographs the outfits to create my own personal look-book. I NEVER have to think, “What will I wear today?” I simply consult my look-book and get dressed. I know I’ve saved time and money using Scarlett’s invaluable service.” Jane Pollak
Copyright ©, Scarlett Image™, All Rights Reserved